10 years of UNGC
Marcura is pleased to share our United Nations Global Compact (UNGC) Communication on Progress Report for 2021-2022.
The UNGC is a voluntary initiative that supports companies that are committed to responsible business practices.
This year marks 10 years since we first adopted the UNGC principles, having started in 2012, by embedding them in the fabric of our group: environment, human rights and anti-corruption.
We have a dedicated UNGC committee, made up of our employees across our global networks who give up their time to help evolve the way we apply the UNGC principles within the Group.
Marcura CEO Jens Lorens Poulsen commented:
“Working remotely and being restricted on gatherings have enabled us to truly focus on our main strategic initiatives which would have a long-term cascading benefit for our organisation, our markets, as well as the communities we work in by building responsible business practices which fulfil our commitment to the UNGC.
“Marcura has proven that its services are more beneficial to the industry than ever and that it is a resilient organisation that can work in an entirely distributed fashion.
“Our IT infrastructure is robust, our business continuity plans have been tested, and our automated processes and virtual collaboration tools help us engage and support our customers and each other, wherever and whenever.”
Here’s the head of our Committee, Tushar Trivedi:
“As a Group, we have a responsibility to limit our impact on the environment, safeguard our people and prevent bribery and corruption.
“Embedding the UNGC principles provides us with the direction to do these and puts us in a trusted place within the maritime industry, alongside many of our customers and partners who are also signatories to the UNGC.
“Being a UNGC committee member is a rewarding experience, bringing together teams who genuinely care about making a positive impact on the way we work.
“We will be inviting more of our people to join the UNGC committee next year where they can share their innovative ideas and be part of this journey – I look forward to sharing our progress once again.”
We’re proud of the progress we’re making and are committed to building a better, sustainable business for our customers and our people:
- We help our customers make better and more sustainable decisions, especially in the elimination of paper waste through the digitalisation of processes
- We work to tackle pollution by reducing wait times at port, cutting down fuel consumption and the resulting emissions
- Our remote excellence strategy, launched in 2020, has led to a significant reduction in travel to and from work and ultimately, a reduction in our carbon emissions.
- In a drive to attract more women, in a traditionally male-dominated industry, we are pleased to report that women make up 27% of our total staff, many of whom are in middle and senior management positions, and we remain committed to retaining our female talent
- Our HR and Health and Safety Teams have gathered global best practices and issued guidelines on the safety of the workplace when working from home which covers equipment, power, safe working practice, ergonomic furniture, adequate lighting and more
- We support refugees displaced due to the current conflict between Russia and Ukraine, as well as our Ukrainian employees in relocating without compromising their salary and with the additional legal and HR support.
- We provide training on our code of conduct as part of our mandatory e-learning programme and the induction process for new Marcurians
- To ensure compliance with these ISO standards, our Internal Audit Team conducts regular reviews and audits of our systems and external audits are conducted by Lloyd’s Register Quality Assurance (LRQA)
- We have taken various measures to comply with global data protection policies, including becoming ISO 27001 certified, appointing a full-time Data Governance Team, and appointing an external Data Protection Officer
A huge thank you to our volunteers who have worked hard to ensure we apply the UNGC principles every day and prepare our report.
Here’s all the volunteers on Marcura’s UNGC Committee: